Advocacy & Education
ADVOCACY & Education
Volunteering as an advocate and community educator is not for everyone. As an advocate and community educator for AFNN, you need to focus your attention on others and their struggles and must have a firm grasp on issues facing older adults in Southern Nevada. Despite the challenges, it is a truly rewarding opportunity. Your effort is rewarded by knowing that you have helped educate the community and positive impact not only in someone's life but in the community as well.
Time Commitment: Flexible. We work with your schedule.
Be able to educate and advocate to help combat ageism
Help set-up community events and lectures
· Public speaking and preparing lectures/seminar
· Successfully complete an hour training
· Have an open mind to issues pertaining to sensitive issues
· Give information and referrals regarding
· Have the desire and ability to work with individuals and groups of varying backgrounds
· Have access to a phone and computer
· Make a minimum six-month commitment to the program
What will you learn in training?
· Listening skills
· Anti-oppression training
· Knowledge about ageism and its causes and effects
· Cultural awareness: working within a diverse community
· Understanding of community resources
· Skills for advocating